Overweight. Getting metallic smell from urine. Diagnosed with sacroiliitis. Required treatment?

I'm 45 an since beginning of january my urine and bowel movements have a very metallic/rusty smell. I don't take any medication or supplements. I'm overweight (5'8" 195lbs) but very active, playing tennis 3x/week. The only medical change is that I was diagnosed with sacroiliitis in december and had a pain injection and physical therapy. my sac joint/low left back/hip continue to hurt daily... no other symptoms that I can think of.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
It shall be necessary for you to do a complete urine analysis, culture and urine electrolytes. This is important in excluding any urinary infection or excess secretion or excretion of particular ions. Doing a fasting blood sugar, considering the fact that you are overweight, and its off course a risk factor is also very important. Any recent changes in your diet might also be important to be noted.
I suggest you continue with you efforts in doing exercise. Losing weight on its own will certainly decrease the intensity of pain you feel. I suggest an erythrocyte sedimentation rate and a rheumatologic work up be done to exclude any rheumatologic disease. X rays and scans could be important in ascertaining the integrity of the bony or skeletal system. Booking an appointment with the rheumatologist for a complete evaluation could be important. Meanwhile, continue with exercise, eat more fruits and vegetables, more fibres, reduce amount of saturated fat, decrease salt intake and drink a lot of water. Simple analgesics in case of increased pain might be of help as you wait to see the physician.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.