Open inguinal repair surgery, sore muscles. Normal?

Hi, I had open ingruial repair surgery yesterday morning....and today it feels like I've run 3 marathons....every muscle in my body is sore like after a long hard workout.... Is this normal....I can barely walk cause of it, and it's more painful than the surgery site itself

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

The muscle soreness you are having could have been from succinylcholine which is a muscle relaxant used for endotracheal intubation and for very short surgical procedures where good muscular relaxation for brief periods is required. However, such a popular and extensively used short acting muscle relaxant has some undesirable side effects like postoperative muscle pains, and rise in serum potassium, intra-ocular tension and intragastric pressure. The pain is from the unsynchronized skeletal muscle contractions called "fasciculations" caused by succinylcholine. Some times it can be pretreated with certain medication/s but doesn't always prevent it. Also, usually larger the muscle worse the fasciculations and the muscle soreness.

It should wean off on its own, if not you will be treated, you can consult your operated surgeon who will give you appropriate treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Open inguinal repair surgery, sore muscles. Normal? 29 minutes later
is there anything i can do in the meantime myself?

how long should it last?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.
It usually lasts for 48 to 72 hours post operatively. Normally it subsides on its own. You cant do much about it but still increase your fluid intake and avoid fruit juices XXXXXXX in potassium like orange juice or lime water.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: Open inguinal repair surgery, sore muscles. Normal? 2 hours later
Thank you or the advice....water here I come :).

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later

You are Welcome.

It is our pleasure to help you.

Wish you a good health.