Muscle ache between shoulder blades, dry mouth, headache. Done hip arthroscopic surgery. Reason for worry?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Doctor,
I had hip arthroscopic surgery ten days ago, and today, late evening, suddenly I am experiencing muscle ache (similar to flu ache) in my upper body, especially between my shoulder blades. I have a dry mouth and had headaches yesterday. Is this a reason for worry, or am I just maybe coming down with the flu? I am taking very little pain medication for my hip, only some Ibiprofin and Painamol Plus at night when I go to sleep.
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The muscle soreness , headache and dryness of mouth that you are having is likely to be related to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances like low serum potassium levels.
You need to keep yourself well hydrated with plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like garotade for next 4-5 days. This will help in reducing your symptoms in addition to the mild pain killers. In case the symptoms are persistent or aggravate then you may consult your physician for appropriate blood tests.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Muscle ache between shoulder blades, dry mouth, headache. Done hip arthroscopic surgery. Reason for worry? 14 minutes later
Since the surgery, my apatite has vanished, and I have been drinking a lot of fresh fruit and vegetable juice and some meal replacement drinks. I have lost 2 kg in 10 days, and appart from the obvious hip pain, I have not had any other aches. My liquid intake is quite high (about 2 litres per day). When I pinch the skin on my hand it returns to normal in an instant - and since easing off the painkillers, I am not constipated either. I do not have a fever. The onset of the upper back/neck and arms pain was very sudden. Could this still be sudden deydration? Can you please assure me that the symptoms I am having, are not related to post surgical complications?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The muscle soreness you are having could have been from succinylcholine which is a muscle relaxant used for endotracheal intubation and for very short surgical procedures where good muscular relaxation for brief periods is required. The pain is from the unsynchronized skeletal muscle contractions called "fasciculations" caused by succinylcholine. Some times it can be pretreated with certain medication/s but doesn't always prevent it. Also, usually larger the muscle worse the fasciculations and the muscle soreness.
However, having the pains 10 days after the surgery is not likely to be due to succinylcholine.
For treatment, you can consult your anaesthesiologist who will give you appropriate treatment after monitoring the serum potassium levels and the doses of succinylcholine given by him.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Muscle ache between shoulder blades, dry mouth, headache. Done hip arthroscopic surgery. Reason for worry? 4 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Tayal - I will discuss the symptoms with the anaesthesiologist, as you suggested. Your answer was helpfull.

Have a good day,

Kind Regards,
I am happy i could help.
Please do recommend our website to your friends too.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery.