Locked jaw and foaming at the mouth. What is this condition called?

Hello, I am an acute care paramedic in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We were given a scenario was a pt who had a locked jaw and was foaming at the mouth (pink froth) and the pt was in a fast PEA. So, we knew as a crew the pt was in cardiac arrest , with pulmonary flash edema , but why the locked jaw? We were told he has a condition called masseter spasm . This is all new to me and I have been in EMS for 12 years. We do not have a protocol to give Succinylcholine, but this is what the dr stated we should have done. We were able to get a king tube in with the little opening and get some chest rise, with lots of suctioning....and we did get a pulse back. But if we did not get that tube in, our only other choice would have been to cryc the pt (as per our AHS protocols). Can you give us your some feedback on this and also why the use of Succinylcholine? Thanks, Kim Showman YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012