On xanax for years. Will there be any problem if I stop taking the medication?

I have a wonderful friend who tells me that she has to titrate down off of her Xanax that she started taking years ago after a horrific car accident. I have no idea how much she takes, but sometimes her words slur. She says she has to stop taking it because she does not have the money to continue to pay for it nor a vehicle to get to her prescribing doctor. I am worried about her and making sure she has the correct information to do this safely. Please help.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking in to your problem Xanax contains Alprazolam which is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. It belongs to a class of benzodiazepines which act on the brain and nerves (central nervous system) to produce a calming effect by enhancing the effect of GABA . Drowsiness, dizziness, increased saliva production are common side effects of this drug . So , her slurring also may be related to that . In my opinion you should seek the advise of your treating doctor as he knows when to start or stop the drug according to her condition . It is very important to see her in person and talk to her regarding this , only then any decision can be taken . In general thses drugs need to be tapered very slowly and Long acting benzodiazepines like diazepam or chlordiazepoxide are preferred to minimize the side effects and gradually wean the patient . Take care. Dr. XXXXXXX