On xanax and tramadol. Choking episodes, new onset of incontinence and agitation. What could be done?

89 yo female prescribed xanax .50mg given at 9am, 12pm, 4pm and 6pm. plus tramadol for sleep. Isnt this abuse? Falls, choking episodes, new onset of incontinence, agitation, worsening confusion up hourly Md suggests giving extra doses of .25mg for breakthrough "anxiety" I can't watch this any longer What can I do to stop/help her?
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doses appear high to me.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Tramadol is used for pain relief. It can cause sedation but it is not used for sleep problem.

It is not clear reason for giving xanax in her case. If it is started recently, then 2 mg per day is high dose considering her age. It can lead to excessive sedation and repeated fall, which may be more XXXXXXX for old person due to age related weakness of bone.

It will be better to start xanax with low doses in her case like 0.25mg 3 times a day (even lower if she can not tolerate it).

Xanax in high doses may needed in some patient who are already using high doses of alcohol or benzodiezepines medicines daily.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.