On quick release adderall. Feel irritable when the effects wear off. Can the dosage be increased ?

Question
Hello-my name is XXXXXXX and Ive been taking 40mg(2 capsules a day) of quick release adderall for about 2 months now. I feel the difference but the problem is after 3 hours, they wear off. I began taking 2 a day as prescribed at 9am and the other around noon, meaning that around 4 pm, Id become very irritable and even depressed for the remainder of the day. After a while of this I had no choice but to go ahead and take a third capsule at 3pm even though I was no prescribed to do so. Really my question is-would that be possible for my doctor to prescribe me 3 doses of 20mg quick release a day for a month, or would it be better for me to try to extended release?and would that be possible to take twice a day(possibly 6 hours apart)-and usually how long does an extended release capsule of 20mg usually last? or would it be better to take 2 30mg capsules of extended release capsules a day-since thats what Im kind of used to now, and would like to continue taking (60mg)-
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Quick release version of Adderall does have a short duration of action but effective till what ever time it acts.
The weaning off of the effect of the medications is purely attributed to the quick release version.Hence, I suggest you to go for 2 extended release tablets instead of 3 tab of 20mg quick release a day.Taking tablet of extended release which has a duration of action of about 6 to 8 hours twice daily will suit you better.Whether it has to be a 20 mg dose each time or a 30mg dose has to be ascertained after a week of use and observe on the symptoms and side effects.

I would recommend you to start with 20mg of extended release twice daily , take it for a week and then go for 30mg tab twice daily if needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.