On prozac. Suffer anxiety. On Depakote. Refuse lithium. Is that fine?

I have been on name brand only Prozac since 1987 to date except a 3 month period in 07'(switched to high does of B). Psychiatrist same who treated me successfully in 1987 for chronic anxiety,saw
again after ran from mental ward (they put me on Depakote and abiify....I started involuntarily walking and did not stop) ony way out of ward was to take and stopped the day I got home and went
back to 87 psychiatriast who was warm and said I will not put you on something you do not want to be on or have effect, we will just keep trying. Loved that answer, got on name brand Prozac again (usual 60mg) and 7.5 mg tranxene nite, which I have been taking. Six weeks ago I decided to switch to generic brand because got a-fib and name brand rythmol, expensive. I suddenly got hyperthymic (those are my ords & what I firmly believe). I went to my psychiatrist from 87 & 07 and he said the change in you probably happened during the switch. There is no such thing as hyerthymia, you have hypothermia and you should go back to name brand Prozac and possibly low dose of ithium depending on how much switching back helps. I left office dumbfounded. There is hyerthymia, I have all 8 traits every day and I love it!! I feel like Cinderella, I do not want to stop dancing but the clock is going to strike twelve (I have read can stay weeks months or years. The generic I switched to is fluoxetine capsules USP, same dose (60mg and important to note) mfg.
is TEVO. The bottom line is I have 1 more appt. I am not switching back to name brand and I refuse lithium, my question is when I come out of this state can I go directly into a depressive state? Hyperthymic is right below manic depressive, read somewhere there should probably be a bi-polar III and IV invented. FAMILY HISTORY: Father had only 1 bi-polar incident at 33, refuses drugs. My son is 38, at 16,diagnosed with manic-depressive (tried suicide) in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX 3
mths (mental ward) because minor, attempted suicide and seemed grandious. He took lithium
3 yrs and stopped. Today no recurrence, super smart, strong, calm, successful married 3 kids.
No recurrence and no meds. What say you?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would agree with your psychiatrist suggestion

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query and detailed description

I would agree with your psychiatrist in :

a) To change back to brand prozac

b) I would also tend to start lithium

The reason for which I prefer lithium ( a mood stabiliser) is :

a) Your strong family history of bipolar
b) Family history of suicidality
c) It will be able to prevent Switch to Hypomania (which you are referring to hyperthymic, I guess)

When you come out of this state there is a possibility that you can go directly into a depressive state. Again for preventing this Lithium should be helpful

Hope this helps