On oxycodone. Drug test came positive for morphine and opiates. Can I have a false positive for morphine?

Psychiatrist
Question
I take 5-325 oxycodone, not on a daily basis. I had a drug test at work and it came back positive for morphine and opiates. Can I have a false positive for the morphine?
I have a history of being sensitive to some meds.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Taking opiates like 5-325 oxycodone might interfere with tests for opiates in your system. It is recommended that you get the test done at least 3 days after stopping taking oxycodone.

Many prescription and nonprescription substances have been reported to cross-react with immunoassays and cause false-positives. Most have only been documented in case reports.

The drugs that can interfere with tests for opiates are
Dextromethorphan
Dophenhydramine
fluoroquinolones
Quinine
Rifampin

This list may not include all potential substances. The frequency of false-positives varies, depending on the specificity of immunoassay used and the substance under detection. Immunoassay results for cannabinoid and cocaine metabolites are associated with very few false-positives while immunoassay results for amphetamines and opiates are associated with a higher number of false-positives.

Hope your quay is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: On oxycodone. Drug test came positive for morphine and opiates. Can I have a false positive for morphine? 4 hours later
I had 2 urine test at ISP each 1 a week apart, during this time I consumed a total of 6 tablets 3 each week, 2 on Tuesday night and the 3rd on a Wednesday morning and I came back positive for opiates and morphine. my isp officer said that the lab stated that it only should come back for opiates. I have not taken any other drugs. However I did eat Indian and thi curry food dishes 3-4 times during both of these weeks. Would that have something to do with me having a positive test for morphine. I read that they use poopy seeds and XXXXXXX seed oils in the dishes.

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Two tests are available, the enzyme linked immunoassay (EIA) kit and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GCMS). They provide different information.

False positives. Are the results due to illicit use, a false positive on the screen, or a known metabolite of a prescribed medication.

False positive for opiates may occurs in the following situations:
- EIA testing: quinolones, dextromethorphan, diphenhydramine (Benadryl), verapamil, XXXXXXX seeds
- GCMS testing
Morphine: from codeine, heroin (for a few hours) and XXXXXXX seeds for 48 hrs
Hydromorphone: from morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, heroin
Oxycodone: from hydrocodone
Codeine: from hydrocodone
Fentanyl: from trazodone
Methadone: from quetiapine (Seroquel)

You might be aware that morphine is a naturally occurring substance and opiates are synthetic substance. It is mentioned that morphine positive may appear for 48 hours after ingestion.

I suggest that you have a discussion on the type of test done and the complete report findings.

Hope your quay is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: On oxycodone. Drug test came positive for morphine and opiates. Can I have a false positive for morphine? 1 hour later
So the foods I mentioned Thai and Indian dishes with XXXXXXX seed oils and XXXXXXX seeds can cause my results to come back positive?

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility exists for tests to come back positive

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Medical literature says that seeds of the opium XXXXXXX plant are legally sold and widely consumed as food. Due to contamination during harvesting, the seeds can contain morphine and other opiate alkaloids. Normal XXXXXXX seed consumption is generally regarded as safe. During food processing, the morphine content is considerably reduced (up to 90%). The possibility of false-positive opiate drug tests after XXXXXXX food ingestion exists. There are no unambiguous markers available to differentiate XXXXXXX food ingestion from heroin or pharmaceutical morphine use.

Therefore there exists a possibility that can cause results to come back positive after ingestion of food with XXXXXXX seeds and processed substances.

Hope your quay is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor