On opiates. Prescribed Librium and clonidine for pain management. Had shoulder surgery. Suffering from pain. Planning for baby. Suggest?

Mar 2013
Hi I've been on opiates for three years thru 5 shoulder surgeries. Two of which where shoulder replacements.iam 36 and recently married wanting to get pregnant. I went to a pain management doctor who prescribed me Librium and clonidine. Prior to this accident I had never taken more than Advil. I have tried to stop but the pain wins out. I took 1/2 a norco for three days and have managed to go two days without one. In the last six days I've slept for maybe 19 hours. I'm exhausted and in so much pain. I'm a month out from my last surgery and am only taking the meds the pain doctor gave me at night to try and sleep as I have to work six days a week I own my own business. How much longer until I get some relief and how XXXXXXX are the meds for pregnancy and how long do I have to wait after stopping them to try to get pregnant. Sorry so long. Rough last few years!
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 55 minutes later
Both Librium and Clonidine are not supposed to be used in pregnancy.
You should avoid conception for atleast 2 months after stoppage of these drugs.
Make sure you take folic acid during this period while you are trying to conceived.
Regarding the pain relief, please consult an Orthopedic Surgeon, who would evaluate your recovery, and decide how long you need to be under medication.
All the best.
Follow-up: On opiates. Prescribed Librium and clonidine for pain management. Had shoulder surgery. Suffering from pain. Planning for baby. Suggest? 18 minutes later
My orthopedic surgeon is very supportive of me not taking pain medicine. I was severely allergic to the first prothesis. The pain was unbearable and now I have normal post surgery pain I just need to be done with the physical dependency so I can move forward. Due to the chronic inflammation of the prothesis that was in in conjunction with using a pain pump for four surgeries my soft tissue is paper thin whic is severely limiting the function of my arm. No physical therapy at all. I really just want to know how long until I will be able to get some sleep I don't know how much longer I can make it
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
It appears as if right now you do need medications for the pain.
Regarding how soon you would be off them, can only be assessed by looking at the injury.