On diet, LFT show high AST value. Could weight loss be causing this?

I am a 47 year old female. I'm 5'4" tall and weigh 207lbs. I have begun dieting (calorie level approx. 1500 daily) and exercising daily (with a trainer) and have lost a total of 15 pounds over the past 6 weeks. My liver function test was normal in January. Today I have the results of my liver function test and all levels are normal except my AST level is 74H, my ALT level is 125H, and my uric acid level was 438H. My doctor is running the test again in one week but I was wondering if my weight loss could be triggering this, how high are these levels considered, what other things may be causing this (I just began taking progesterone only BCP for the first time about four weeks ago) and if there's anything I can do to lower the levels now. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 hours later

Thanks for asking.

There are various causes of the raised liver enzymes ( AST,ALT).Most important of them are alcohol consumption and viral hepatitis.

Certain other non causes can be obesity,starvation,diabetes, significant weight changes, drugs and toxin etc.

As you have significant changes in your weight, slight changes in the liver enzymes is expected.

A good idea will be to redo the tests in 4-6 weeks and see if the levels are increasing.

Any increase in levels demands a set of investigations like blood tests and ultrasound of liver and biliary tree to rule out the other serious problems .

Please let me know if you need further information.