On depo for six months. No periods. Lost first baby. Want second baby. Should take deviry?

Mar 2016

My wife was on depo for six months, last shot was on 02/04/13. Now it is already more than six months from last depo shot, but still she did not get her period, In the mean time we lost our first baby in may 2013, now we desperately want second child as early as possible, but we are too much worried. My wife is been on stress as we lost our first baby, all her test reports i.e TSH, LH, FSH, Free testosterone etc. and ultrasound reports are normal. should we take deviry 10 mg tablets as advised by our doctor now. what will be its side effect, should we wait for some more times to get the period naturraly. kindly advise
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I am so sorry to hear about your first baby loss and I can feel your anxiety and mental stress.

FIRST of all, DEPO SHOT is highly effective against unwanted pregnancy. But it has several adverse effect like irregular or prolonged absence of period, weight gain, headache, hair fall, mood swing, abnormal hair grow, depression etc.

She does not get her period for last 6 months due to effect of DEPO SHOT along with mental stress. It will be overcome with hormonal medication.

SECOND thing, her recent ultrasound scan report and hormone tests are quite normal as per information. She can take DEVIRY as per your doctor prescription. It also contains medroxyprogesterone like DEPO SHOT and adverse effects are same as mentioned above if it is used for long term purpose with large doses.

However, with regular dose (10 mg), it will be helpful to get withdrawal bleeding (same to period) within 7-10 days of stopping the pill.

LASTLY, I suggest her to take some food stuffs to induce period naturally in adjunct to above treatment. She can take this food stuff like broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish (rich in vitamin D & calcium), green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, yoghurt dairy product, soy milk, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. These are quite helpful to regularize and induce period.

Some healthy measures have to follow as you are planning for 2nd baby:

1) Take balanced diet with more green vegetables, eat fresh fruits & drink more water for better systemic circulation.

2) Do regular physical exercise for overall fitness and control body weight (both of you).

3) Mental stress should be avoided through regular meditation or yoga. Take sound sleep and maintain personal hygiene.

4) Start to take folic acid and vitamin-E supplement for at least 3 months prior to conception. It is helpful to develop better fetal nervous system and avoid Neural Tube Defect disorder.

5) Do unprotected sex close to ovulation time (14 days prior to next due date) or within fertile days (12th to 18th day of each 28-30 days cycle). She must use ovulation prediction kit (OPK) when she will get regular period. It is quite effective to maximize the chance of pregnancy.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: On depo for six months. No periods. Lost first baby. Want second baby. Should take deviry? 27 hours later
Thanks for your reply sir, my wife also had polycystic ovary syndrome, since she has taken depo shot six months back, should she takes now Deviry 10 mg or Valest 2 mg.

someone also advises us not to take medicine(deviry 10 mg) at present because it may create problem in concieving or it may cause miscarriage.

Kindly advise

further please suggest some vitamin E supplements

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

I personally prefer Dydrogesterone (like DUPHASTON etc) to treat my patient who have PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and wants pregnancy. Certain side effects are avoidable in comparison to DEVIRY.

However, they are quite useful to induce period or withdrawal bleeding and do not cause any harmful effect to fetus usually when women take those prior to confirmation of pregnancy or first missed period. Medication should be stopped from 5th week (counted from D1 of LMP) onwards after pregnancy confirmed.

These progesterone supplements (on regular doses) are useful to increase chance of successful conception, support pregnancy and prevent miscarriage. There may be some other reasons which may cause miscarriage or conceiving problem.

Valest contains estradiol and it should not be taken alone to induce period in PCOS. When it is combined with progesterone, it will be useful. However, they act as contraceptive pill and decrease the chances of conception.

You must consult with your doctor regarding this and if change of medication is required. I think it will be benefited for you.

She can take folic acid tab like SYSFOL or FOLVITE and Vitamin-E supplement like EVION or VITEOLIN cap regularly for consecutive 3 months before and after pregnancy.

Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: On depo for six months. No periods. Lost first baby. Want second baby. Should take deviry? 23 hours later

Hello sir, thanks for your reply,

i want to inform u that my wife had Polycistic ovary syndrome even before her first pregnancy that time she was prescribed XXXXXXX
     our first doctor or regular doctor precribred us deviry 10 mg tab thinking that the effect of Depo shot (taken six months back on 02/4/13) is now no more and my wife has PCOS (which she already had before her first pregnancy).

But second doctor prescribed her Valest 2mg(estrogen) thinking that effect of Depo shot is still active in her body ( as it takes almost one year for some women to recover from depo shot), since depo shot contain progesterone, so she prescribed estrogen to cause withdrawl bleeding.

Test reports of my wife as on 22/08/13 is : LH- 6.86, FSH-6.10, Prolactin-7.59, TSH-2.08, Free testestrone-0.58.

I think I will go with deviry 10 mg tablet and Amycordial syrup not with valest 2mg.

Kindly give me final advice.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.
XXXXXXX is a contraception effect.

However, in this case, she can take DEVIRY 10 mg to get withdrawal bleeding as per your doctor's prescription. I also suggest this medicine.

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. Kindly, close the discussion.

Dr Soumen