On crestor. Have tendon tenderness, tingling hands and painful joints. Stopped the Cresto. Cause?

I am a 58 year old male. I have been on Crestor for 15 months. The last few months I have had tendon tenderness,tingling of hands and feet and painful joints. I stopped the Crestor 3 days ago on my doctors orders but the pains persist. How long should I expect these symptoms to last if indeed Crestor is causing them?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query

It is possible that rosuvastatin ( Crestor) could have caused these symptoms. Rosuvastatin is known to cause muscle aches and joint pains, very rarely it causes a serious condition called rhabdomyolysis. I should add here that these symptoms are dose dependant which means that higher the dose the more risk of the side effects.

Your doctors have done the right thing by stopping Crestor however I would want you to get a Total cpk blood test done to know how much of muscle injury this has caused

You could take pain killers like aceclofenac to releive yourself of the pain, take plenty of fluids and also avoid exercises until you are better. The pain will become less intense in a week's time and for you to become completely normal it will take about 4 to 6 weeks

In the mean time since you are off Crestor please avoid eating oily food items and alcohol

I hope I was of help, if you have further queries please get back to me