On contraceptive jab and tookorethisterone. Missing periods. Can this cause infertility?

Hi I'm on the 12 week contraceptive jab and I recently took Norethisterone tablets and my period still hasn't returned is this normal? Or could this be because of the contraceptive jab I am on? Can this cause infertility?
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 55 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Ovulation occurs on 14th day of ovulation in a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days.

Contraceptives delay/prevent ovulation, thus menstrual period is also delayed.

Delayed return of fertility is a side effect of 12 week contraceptive jab.

At present there is no evidence of long term infertility after it's use.

You should start oral contraceptive pills from first day of your next menstrual period, and meanwhile you should use condom.

With good wishes,