On amoxicillin. Developed yeast infection. Prescribed metrogel and diflucan. Use Monistat 3. Feeling painful. Suggestions?

Okay. So about 17 days ago I was put on amoxicillin 875 twice daily for ten days for a tooth extraction. I completed that course , got the tooth out and was put on another ten day treatment, same prescription. During that treatment, I developed what I thought was a BV/Yeast infection mix. I went to my GP , was prescribed metrogel and diflucan. I did not take the metrogel immediately because I wanted to use Monistat 3 , and not diflucan ( due to side effects). I went ahead w the Monistat treatment and could tell it didn't work. So I took the diflucan anyways (had racing heart). The nurse calls and says it was ecoli strain bacteria that was found and doc prescribed cipro. I look up the interactions, see its racing heart and decide...ehhh...let me ask for other options. No one calls back (furlough). So my question is - will metrogel rid ecoli, I already have the script. The nurse for the triage line basically said what the hell, what could it hurt. But I dont want to suffer through another goopy nasty painful night if its not effective on this strain.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of E.coli infection

Detailed Answer:

Good day to you.

I am Dr.(Col) R Karanwal, M.D. (Internal Medicine) for your assistance.

I can fully appreciate the pain and agony that you are passing through and thereby, take this opportunity to fully address to your query.

Firstly, E.coli, being a gram negative bacteria, needs a course of antibiotics, specific for the treatment of E.coli infection.

Further, Metrogyl is an anti-amoebic agent, which- though effective against some bacteria- is however, NOT effective against E.coli.

Diflucan and Monistat are primarily anti-fungal agents. Hence, they are not effective in bacterial infections.

Cipro- apart from many other antibiotics- is an effective antibiotic against E.coli PROVIDED that the bacterial strain has not developed resistance to it, unlike in India. Further, to the best of my knowledge, cipro does not produce rapid beating of the heart.

Under the given circumstances, since you do not wish to continue with cipro, I would suggest that you discuss the matter with your treating doctor who knows which alternative and most effective antibiotic to prescribe.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal