On TPN due to short gut syndrome. Developed pain and swelling on elbow and ankle. Any ideas?

I have been on TPN for six years mainly due to short gut syndrome. have developed pain in elbows and now fingers very swollen and feet and ankles why is this
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. TPN requires regular monitoring which you must be happening. I suggest that you take these swellings seriously and get necessary investigations done to rule out:
1. Electrolyte imbalance.
2. Infection.
3. Levels of serum albumin.
If the investigations are normal then only you should consider going over for your grandson's graduation.

In all probability the doctors would like to re-structure your TPN to reduce the fluid till the swelling subsides and may increase the protein content if the blood reports suggest.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: On TPN due to short gut syndrome. Developed pain and swelling on elbow and ankle. Any ideas? 3 hours later
thank u doctor am going to the hospital this afternoon. The swelling and pain is severe this morning. If necessary will contact you again.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later

Thank you for your post.

You will appreciate the limitation of this forum and I am happy that I have been able to guide you. Do keep me updated.

Wishing you all the best.