Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea

Question
What is the differential diagnosis for chronic diarrhea?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Differential diagnosis mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. Differential diagnosis for chronic diarrhea includes:
* cow’s milk sensitivity enteropathy
* infection
* celiac disease
* idiopathic chronic diarrhea
* secretory diarrhea (idiopathic, laxative abuse, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes mellitus, and fecal incontinence)
* malabsorption (pancreatic disease, noninflammatory short bowel syndrome, postgastrectomy, hyperthyroidism, and cholestasis)
* microscopic colitis
* inflammatory bowel disease
* celiac sprue
* radiation colitis

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea 13 hours later
Dear Dr. Saha:

I am without symptoms consistent with many of the other disease processes you mentioned. No abdominal masses or pain, cramping, bleeding, dark stools, anorexia, lymphadenopathy. However, as indicated in my prior question, I used laxatives to counteract pain medication during multiple orthopedic surgeries over the last few years. Now I am on forteo for loss of bone mass. For the first several months after starting Forteo in January 2017, I experienced GI symptoms - increased flatulance and occasional cramping/urgency. I attributed the symptoms to the medication. Does it seem likely that use of the laxatives in and of itself could cause the persistent diarrhea?

Thank you for your help!
Jeanine

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be the cause

Detailed Answer:
You could tell me if you have been taking laxatives. If you have been, definitely that can be a cause of persistent diarrhea.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea 2 days later
What is the treatment for chronic diarrhea if it is idiopathic or caused by prolonged use of laxatives to prevent constipation while using hydrocodeine? Thank you.

Brief Answer:
Include green leafy vegetables in diet

Detailed Answer:
The treatment is rather simple
You have to eliminate the laxatives and include in your diet plenty of green leafy vegetables..