On Klonopin 1.5mg for ADHD. Family history of OCD. Is it normal to increase obsessive tendencies in thought?

I'm on Vyvanse 50mg for recently diagnosed ADHD. I'm also on Klonopin .25mg in the a.m., .25 at noon, and 1mg at bed. I've been on this regime for about a month, maybe a month and a half. Of late, my dad and sister have noticed an increase in "obsessive" tendencies (mostly thoughts). I haven't reflected on this enough to agree, but I'm open to it. Is this a common side effect? Does it go away? I have OCD in my family. Could it have brought out latent OCD in me? Any advice?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 42 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 27 year old female
• Known case of ADHD on Vyvanase.
• Currently on Klonopin 1.5mg per day
• Family history of OCD
• Complaints of: increase obsessive tendencies in thought.

There is e types of ADHD: Hyperactive type, inattention type and mixed type. Let me know type of your ADHD problem.

OCD is a disorder of Anxiety spectrum. Other anxiety problems are: generalized anxiety disorder, specific phobia, social phobia and panic disorder etc. For final Diagnosis, detail history and in person mental status examination is must.

Family history of OCD increase risk for developing any of the anxiety spectrum disorder (not only OCD). If I see your treatment Klonopin contain Clonazepam, which is used for anxiety and not for ADHD. So, your physician may also considering anxiety as a diagnosis.

Symptoms of Anxiety disorders are (which may or may not be present in your case): Anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Let me know if you have some of these symptoms.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: On Klonopin 1.5mg for ADHD. Family history of OCD. Is it normal to increase obsessive tendencies in thought? 30 minutes later
I have generalized anxiety disorder, but not OCD. I would say my anxiety is worse than my ADHD, but am not sure if that's true. It's a chicken and egg sort of situation. I identified the anxiety first. I am the hyperactive or mixed type. My doctor say that hyperactivity displays differently in women than men and boys. Of late it seems to those around me that I have been been obsessive or obsessing in a new way and I want to know if this could be because of the Vyvanse. I cannot get into my doctor for some time, but also don't want to increase my likelihood of getting or becoming OCD. Does that make sense?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 29 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Vyvanse is a stimulant and known to increase anxiety symptoms. As you are already on risk for developing OCD due to family history, then it is better to stop Vyvanse as you are perceiving increase OCD symptoms with it.

Anxiety disorders occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You also need long term treatment for anxiety.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group (like klonopin) of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. So, your treatment is appear to right but it is lacking long term management plan like SSRIs. Long term management with benzodiazepines alone (more than 1-2 months) frequently lead to addiction to these medicines.

After adequate management of anxiety some of the symptoms ADHD controlled, due to improvement in restlessness and concentration (if it is occurring due to anxiety, which is difficult to ascertain).

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.