Numbness in legs, painful, no swelling, tingling for some days. Sleeping for five hours

Nov 2013

I have been asleep for about 5 hrs. My legs are numb/ feel like they are semi asleep from my hips down. They hurt aswell. About a 4/5 on a 1 to 10. No swelling.have felt tingel in them for a couple days. Now I feel like I am afraid to get out of bed.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
The symptoms of numbness, tingling and pain in the legs are suggestive of nerve involvement. The commonest reason is neuropraxia, where due to mechanical pressure on the nerves while sleeping, these symptoms result. However,the reassuring part is that it recovers well within a short span of time.
Other reasons could be pressure on nerve roots in the lumbar spine (lower back). This can happen because of disc prolapse.
You need to consult a GP/neurologist for detailed evaluation and treatment. I am sure you will improve well.
I hope this helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad