Numbness in legs, hands and face, shooting pain in head, sleeplessness, pain intensifies with gas, had fibromyalgia, lupus, thyroid. Advise?

Neurologist
Question
My wife and I lost our health insurance over a year ago. She was originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, lupus, thyroid (hashimoto) and her prolactin levels are high. Lately she has been feeling worse getting a numbing feeling in her hands, legs, face and feet.
At times even the pillow hurts her face. Sometimes her pain is alleviated when she urinates. She also gets shooting pains in her head brain ( not a headache ) and different areas of her body. She sleeps very little at night and has lost a lot of weight over the last 2 years. Her pains intensify if she has gas and needs to burp (which she cannot understand why?) In the last month at least twice she has tried to get up from bed and her legs have been so numb that her legs have been strong enough to support her. She also complains of her brain going about 100 miles per hour and cannot concentrate, her spine about waist high also hurts her . I know that she has a lot of symptoms but if you can give us your idea of what you think is going on it will help us greatly. Thank You.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Regarding the multiple problems seen in her I think this is most likely a multisystem problem due to many issues. Though lupus and thyroid disturbances in her can explain some of her symptoms, most other look like to be due to anxiety and underlying depression.

Another possibility could be inflammation of the musculoskeletal system due to lupus and fibromyalgia. This can generally resolve within a couple weeks. Sometimes we give medication such as Advil to address the inflammatory process along with antidepressants for fibromyalgia. Advil is an over the counter drug in US. You may consider taking it one tablet each after breakfast and dinner for 3 to 4 days. If you're interested you could try taking these and see if it makes any kind of significant difference.

Lack of sleep can aggravate the underlying problems and is partly responsible for worsening of her symptoms. I personally feel and recommend you see your Rheumatologist for a comprehensive physical examination as well as a consideration of possible blood test which might help us roll out underlying causes of your symptoms.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,