Numb scar after tumor surgery. Will the numbness disappear?

General Surgeon
I had an out-patient procedure to remove a fatty tumor from forehead. It has been 3 weeks since surgey and the scar remains numb as well as a portion of my forehead. Will the numbness disappear soon?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 11 hours later

During any surgery, while incising along with the tissues other structures such as blood vessels and nerves coming in the line of incision are also injured. Nerve conduction impairment may produce numbness and neurological symptoms.

The symptoms are temporary and recovery occurs in some time. The time of recovery varies among different individuals, the type of incision, the concentration of nerve fibers injured and many more factors .

Generally recovery of sensation may take even six weeks or more. Use of 'Vitamin B 12' supplement aids nerve healing and recovery. Hence Vitamin B 12 supplements - one tablet a day use will benefit you.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Follow-up: Numb scar after tumor surgery. Will the numbness disappear? 2 days later
Thanks for your explanation concerning the numbness in my forehead. You confirmed the information about my condition that I suspected, but needed an expert to confirm. The surgeon explained to me that the tumor was beneath small muscles in my forehead and she had to pry deeper to ensure she removed all the tumor. I am very healthy for age 77, and I take daily nutrients including the B-complex vitamins.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 20 hours later

Nice to hear from you again.

Damage or injury to some extent do occur during surgery. Recovery depends on many factors.As you are already taking B-Complex nutrients. For early recovery, B-complex nutrients should be in slightly higher doses. Methylcobalamine also helps in speedy recovery of nerve sensation.

Deeper dissection causes slightly more nerve injury, so recovery may take longer time.

So don't worry. It will improve over the period.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction.

Wish you speedy and complete recovery at the earliest.