Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed yellow looking stains in underwear. No pain or burning in penis. Is this a normal in teenagers?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I have noticed yellow looking stains in the front upper right area of my 17 yo son's underware for 6 mos or so. He has a steady girlfriend (about 2 years), and he swears they are not sexually active yet. He gets embarassed when I ask him questions and I do not feel confident that he is telling me everything. He seems to be completely unaware that anything unusual is happening with his penis. He says it usually lies on the right side in his underware. He denies any pain, burning, itching, unusual odor or color of his urine. He denied that his urine was a dark yellow color and if he "put off" urinating when he was in school/busy. He denies ever noticing any minor urine leaking/droplets or wetness in his underware. He is very physically active with outdoor sports and comes home soaking wet/sweat after schools. My husband says he never had this happen to him. Is this a normal teenage boy thing or should I take him to see a doctor? I am worried that he may have an asymptomatic UTI or something. He is resistant to the idea of going to see a doctor over this and seems to think I am worried about nothing.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 47 minutes later
Hello XXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your question...

I can understand your concerns about your son's symptoms and your worry whether your son may be having a reason may be 'nightfalls' or 'wet dreams', where there is unconscious release of semen during sleep. This again is a normal psysiological phenomenon in males and is especially quite common in teenagers. Semen stains when dried can have a yellowish tinge and this seems to be the most likely cause of the stains in your son's underwear.

If your son is not suffering from any symptoms of UTI and if he is otherwise healthy and active, then I think that you need not be worried about this. You can just advise him to drinking enough fluids (especially since you mention that he is very physically active) and to maintain good genital hygeine.

I hope I have clarified your query.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist