Noticed snake like veins protruding from both temples. Having knee pain and headache. What's wrong?

Two nights ago I noticed snake like veins protruding from both temples, I am a 46 yr old male, 6'4" 220, I have been having knee pain from jogging and am taking ibuprofen. I am currently on vacation, have been in the sun a lot this week and also have been consuming alcohol. The first night I noticed this I had just gotten out of a hot tub. Any combination of these activities causing this? There is no pain or discomfort, no headaches or anything just these bulging veins. I have never noticed this before.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
Let me at the outset tell you with full assurance that prominent veins you observed do not signify any disease under the circumstances you vividly described.
You are normal weight for your height and you were jogging. Your heart has to pump more blood which it does by increasing your heart rate and getting the blood (which is dormant : say to stomach) back to be utilized for circulation to exercising muscles which include arms too. (In jogging next time observe your arms). Blood is carried to the exercising muscles by arteries which we can not see. It returns to heart by veins, from arms it returns by veins which share their return along with neck and forehead veins. So, you observe prominent forehead veins. Repeated jogging cause prominent veins which only signifies that they are in use. Your knee pain and taking ibuprofen (as well as alcohol consumption) are separate issues. My belief is strengthened by your observation that there is no pain or discomfort or headache. It is simply you have not noticed them before. Have I been able to make my self clear, or if a certain point you want me to elaborate more, please write so, I will be most happy to write back at the earliest. Take care of your knee. Good luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW