Noticed small spots on inner labia. Had pus filled cyst on same area. Should I be worried about cancer?

Hi, I've noticed several small dark red /purplish spots on the inner labia, from 1-5mm in diameter, there's a larger one on the lip of the labia and a little line of smaller dark spots inside the fold of the inner labia. The larger spot is more raised than the smaller ones. What are they and what should I do? Should I be worried that it's cancerous? I had a cyst on two occasions in the same that was pus filled but these spots are not the same. I had my annual physical and PAP in May of this year and nothing was noted, so I suspect they started gradually in the last couple of months. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The dark purplish spots on the labia could be due to benign vulvar melanosis, genital warts, lentigo, dermatitis, etc.
A physical examination is needed to confirm the cause. Most of the times such pigmentation spots are non progressive and are harmless.
Usually no treatment is required if it is Benign Melanosis, but needs to be evaluated thoroughly for surgical excision.
If you have recently changed sanitary pad brand, it can cause allergic dermatitis as well which can present in similar fashion which may be associated with itching in most cases.
Do consult your Gynaecologist and get a thorough evaluation for most of the above mentioned pathologies.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed small spots on inner labia. Had pus filled cyst on same area. Should I be worried about cancer? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor. I currently do not have a GP nor a Gync - it will take some time, perhaps several months before I get can an examination and possible exision. Should I be concerned about things progressing quickly while I wait to see a specialist?

Would it hurt in the meantime if I tried either Witch XXXXXXX tea tree oil, or 50 mcg of silver locally ?

Thanks for follow up question.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The lesions that you ahve described are not likely to progress quickly. You can wait for a while and try the topical treatments like witch XXXXXXX or tea tree oil.
In case there is a rapid progression, then you need to consider visiting your gynecologist for surgical excision.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.