Noticed redness in eyes. Blurred vision after using tobradex. Proper treatment?

Question
A few weeks ago I thought I had pink eye, soon I noticed redness in both eyes. I used visine and clear eyes for a while hoping it would clear the redness but then my eyes got very sensitive and began to hurt. I went to the doctor and he gave me Tobradex. Now the redness and sensitivity is.gone but my eyes are blurry even with my glasses or contacts in. I can't function daily if I can't see! Please help! XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Tobradex eye drops contain Tobramycin and dexamethasone. This combination works well in treating non specific inflammation and inflammations due to infections. It can however sometimes cause side effects like blurred vision, itching, sensitivity to light, etc. These are not serious effects and will subside once the medication is stopped.

Since the inflammatory symptoms for which Tobradex was advised is stopped, I suggest you to stop the medication now to prevent persistence of the blurred vision.

Avoid wearing contact lens for a week from now; wearing contact lens may prevent wash out of the medications from the cornea by tears and can cause irritation.

Hope I answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Noticed redness in eyes. Blurred vision after using tobradex. Proper treatment? 12 hours later
I used the drops 4x in both eyes for 2 days. Then I stopped on wednesday night.... I understand that it's only been a few days but when should I notice my vision going back to normal

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your vision should be normal by 3 or 4 days after stopping the medication.If there is a delay or no improvement in the vision, I would consider it essential for you to get examined by your Opthalmologist.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Noticed redness in eyes. Blurred vision after using tobradex. Proper treatment? 4 hours later
Thank you for writing back so quickly and you've been very helpful! I actually just saw an Eye Specialist today and he told me that my blurry vision is most likely due to having abrasions on my cornea... He told me to use natural tears w/ no preservatives. Anything else you'd recommend that will speedup healing time?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Hi again,

Abrasions could be due to the contact lens you use. Tear substitute would be more than enough for the abrasions to heal and no special medication would be needed.

Wish you good health.