Noticed red bruise on thigh. What can of bite this could be? Should I be concerned?

Jul 2012

I just returned from a trip to Palm Desert, CA and was bitten all over my legs and arms while I was there. They feel like mosquito bites - very itchy and are in single places. They are not a cluster of bites like with fleas or bed mites (so I've heard). However, this afternoon I noticed a very red one on my thigh that had a bruise next to it. I thought they were unrelated but now the bruising is starting to form around the bite. There is no pain or swelling around either area. Do you know what kind of bite this could be and if I should be concerned? (I have a photo but I don't see where I can include it)
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
I noticed your question lingering on for an hour or two while i was attending to my daily OPD & am guessn all the dermatologists' on this panel are busy :)
I read your description & have viewed the photograph sent. Relax. They are indeed 'insect bite reactions' as you have so rightly pointed out. However, as there is no pain & swelling around the area, you do not have to concern yourself as regards any venomous insect or any systemic problems. Use a topical corticosteroid-antibiotic (betamethasone-fusidic acid) combination cream that am sure any local pharmacist will supply you OTC (over the counter) in a situation such as this. Please feel free to take a copy of this transcript/discussion that may help you with the pharmacist. This cream may be applied to the individual bites twice/day for 2-3 day & in addition, you may want to add a non-sedative antihistamine that may help relieve the lesions swiftly (fexofenadine180mg). Do remember to treat the fomites/clothes etc..wash with warm water, dry well in sunlight & do the same with your camping gear etc...sun them well..all the bugs will 'bugger' off! :)
Cheers & Good Luck mate.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
XXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India