Noticed numbness on foot after heavy alcohol consumption. Related?

I had a long day of drinking yesterday, maybe 25 - 30 drinks in 12 hours and I noticed my left foot (only) the 3 inner toes and the ball of my foot is numb... Obviously I know how stupid that much drinking is and have stopped! Would the numbness be related to all of the alcohol? Is there anything I can do?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, the numbness could be related to the heavy alcohol consumption. As you might be aware, alcohol is toxic to the nerves and might have caused peripheral neuropathy. Also it is quite common to have nutritional deficiencies in people who consume excess alcohol for prolonged periods, which further damages the nerves.

Another possibility could be , in an inebriated state, you must not have realized the trauma caused to your toes.

I would advise you to drink enough water and rehydrate your body. Alcohol causes dehydration.

Have a healthy nutritious diet.

Do visit your doctor who might test you for nutritional deficiencies and might prescribe thiamine and folic acid etc., if required.

Good for you, that you stopped drinking alcohol.

I hope I have answered your queries. Please get back to me if you need further clarifications.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan