Noticed lump in front of ear lobe and just above jaw line. Any idea what this could be?

Today I discovered a bump in just in front of my right ear lobe and just above my jaw line. It is sore to the touch and has been making my ear hurt and feel somewhat dizzy. I thought it might be a lymph node but from the research I have done it seems the only lymph nodes in the area are located behind the ears. Any idea what this could be??
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Lymph nodes are located both in front and behind the ears but more behind.Lymph node swelling takes a long time to appear and happens when there is any kind of infection in the vicinity.

Based on you description I do not consider it to be a lymph node.The tenderness on touch and the site of involvement make me suspicious about it being a Folliculitis.
Folliculitis is inflammation of the hair follicle which happens due to bacterial infection.

Do take Tab Motrin 400mg twice daily after food for three days.This will reduce the inflammation and if the lesion is filled with pus then breaking it up followed by expression of the pus would be best remedy.Also application of Ointment like BACTROBAN over the broken wound wound cure the infection too.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.