Noticed loose motions green in color and vomiting. Given zenflox and darolac. How to deal with this?

Hi Doc ,

My son is about one year. Since , 3-4 days , he was having frequent motions...say 7-8 times a day. But in small quantities. He was eating and playing perfectly. Only a couple of hours back ....he started having loose motions...also noticed that it was green in color. He vomited the curd rice that I fed him. Well the duty doctor advised us to admit him but I didn't want my sweet kiddo with the needles:( However we have given him zenflox and darolac now. My major concern is he so exhausted that he didn't even eat or drink anything! just had some of my milk....plz suggest me how to deal this situation!!!
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 40 minutes later

Thanks for your query .

I can understand your concerns.

If he is exhausted, not at all drinking any thing and passing loose stool, then I would recommend that he should be given fluids intravenously.

However if he is tolerating fluids then you should give him extra fluid and ORS.
Generally antibiotics are not recommended for loose motions.

Monitor his hydration status, if there is any blood or fever or child starts vomit every thing then immediately visit you doctor.

Change his diaper after every loose stool, note that how much urine he is passing.

Give him zinc supplementation, banana and rice water.

Hope I have answered ,if you have any other query , I would be honored to reply.

Wishing sweet kiddo a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Noticed loose motions green in color and vomiting. Given zenflox and darolac. How to deal with this? 16 hours later
Thanks a ton for the quick brief-up:)
He was very weak the whole night having some milk but was better by morning. Gave a banana.....seemed good. He is on rice and sabu XXXXXXX water ....also had some , thank you so much at the needy hour!

If possible , could you please send me the list of things in which the zinc supplement would be present....however he is been given zincolite.

Thanks Again!
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 54 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up and appreciations,

Its good to see the improvement in your kiddo, and avoidance of needle prick.

Zinc is present in some green vegetables and cereals but for the baby now zinc in syrup form is good.

you can contact me again at this forum.

If you have no further query , you can close the discussion and give your valuable comments regarding me and my answer and rate the query.