Noticed long, stretchy thing in stool. C&S test negative. What could it be?

What is 7 inch long, clear, stretchy thing in stool? It was brown at first, but after soaking in water it turned mostly translucent. About 1/8 inch diameter, and more flat than round. No segments noticable. Para-pack "Ecofix" and "C&S" tests were negative. No food was eaten that in any way resembles this.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 7 hours later
Likely, you are suffering from worm infestation.
Possibly what you a describing is ascariasis or a tapeworm.
Need not worry all you need to do is to deworm yourself.
Can take a dose of albendazole if available OTC or consult your doctor.
You may need to repeat a dose after 6 weeks to ensure complete eradication.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Noticed long, stretchy thing in stool. C&S test negative. What could it be? 11 hours later
Albendazole is not available OTC here. I don't think the doctor will give it to me since the lab test was negative. In your experience, do the lab tests often show a false negative? Should I have the test repeated with a different clinic?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 12 hours later
I am not sure what ecofix is. To my knowledge, it is just a medium of stool transport. You need to get stool routine examination done to look for ova, cysts, and worms. Check if mebendazole is available over the counter.
Stool examination on 2 different occasion is helpful, can get it repeated in a different lab.
Any ways need not worry; if you have no symptoms, then treatment of worm infestation is also not urgent.
Hope this answers your query.
Best wishes