Have had insomnia, diagnosed with ADHD. Taking Adderall helps insomnia. Suggest dosage?

Psychiatrist
Question
HAVE HAD INSOMNIA FOR YEARS. WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD AND FOUND ADDERALL RESOLVES MY INSOMINA. CURRENTLY USING 20MG AT BEDTIME, THEN ANOTHER 20 MG 3 OR 4 HOURS LATER TO GO BACK TO SLEEP. NOT FINDING MUCH INFO ABOUT THIS. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? ...THANKS.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Atypical action of Adderal

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Adderal is mostly a stimulant and is generally prescribed as away as possible from the sleep time. However recently a new school of thoughts is coming up which states that in ADHD sleep disturbance is cause of loss of attention and the same can improve with adderal during sleep time. This fact is probably true in your case. If you are finding benefit, then you should go ahead with it. Also you may augment your adderal with some sleep medicatiosn like Zolpidem or eszopiclone.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.