Noticed hard nodule on left knee. What could be this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hard nodule(pea size) medially on left knee. Moves back and forth upon flexion and extension. Not painful but annoying. Medial meniscectomy performed in 1980. Trying to determine what it may be.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

This nodule may be meniscal cyst or a Baker's cyst. This means that some fluid has accumulated within the meniscus for some reason. As you have mentioned that a medial menisectomy has been performed before so it might be scar tissue at the portal of arthroscope which converted into nodule after fibrosis.

You may need a MRI of knee to know the exact cause of this nodule. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health