Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed growth of new hair and white bumps on penis shaft. Looking for solution

Hello, I noticed a white bump similar to a pimple on the bottom of of my penisimshaft. I have noticed more hair growing on my penis as well lately.
There is no pain, looks like a pimple when I have an erection.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The growth of new hair is a completely normal process and has to do with your hormone production as well. This is nothing to worry about.

The pimple-like structure you have noticed could most probably be an 'ingrown hair'. Have you shaved in the area recently?

An ingrown hair is when a hair follicle tries to push the hair from the follicle through the skin to the surface. But, it is not always successful in doing so. In such a scenario, the hair gets obstructed under the skin (producing a bump which looks like a pimple) and starts growing to the side, under the skin. This at times causes redness of the skin in the area and very very very mild pain in the same region. This is nothing to worry about.

The only other possibility could be folliculitis, which is a mild infection of a hair follicle. This will subside without treatment as well.

The best thing you could do is to take a warm water shower and if possible even apply a warm compress in the region two to three times a day. Both conditions are simple and nothing to worry about. Be assured.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further information. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.