Noticed discharge on panties. Ants were attracted. What may cause this?

May 2013
My daughter is 14 and I found when doing the laundry that there was some discharge on her underpants and that it had attracted ants. Discharge from one or two days before starting her period. Have not seen this in her underpants before, meaning that they attract ants. What may cause this?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

During the premenstrual phase vaginal discharge will increase usually.
This is physiological only.
Ants can get attracted to any time of biological fluid.
So no need to worry about that.
If the discharge is associated with symptoms like foul smell, itching etc. better to consult gynecologist to rule out the possibility of infection.
If no symptoms are there, just maintaining personal hygiene like taking bath twice a day, changing undergarments twice a day, using cotton inner wear etc are enough.
Taking nutritious diet, plenty of water etc. are essential.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Noticed discharge on panties. Ants were attracted. What may cause this? 7 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I just want to make sure about whether I would need to worry about blood sugar issues. My daughter is healthy, vegetarian, at good weight but sometimes complains of being tired. She does not exercise often to which I have ascribed her low energy state. But I am aware that sometimes this may also be a sugar issue. Seeing the ants of course made me highly uneasy. There is no history of diabities or hipoglycemia in the family. Is there anything I should watch out for? I am much more at ease after your explanation but just want to check on this point with ou. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later

According to the age and family history the possibility of diabetes is less.
Usually diabetic patients will present with symptoms like increased appetite, increased thirst, increased frequency of urination, tiredness etc.
If you want once check for blood sugar levels of your daughter, that can rule out the possibility of diabetes.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.