Noticed dark ring formation under foreskin. HIV and syphilis negative. Fungal infection?

Hello Doctor,
From the last one month I have been noticing a dark ring like formation beneath my Penis skin. I consulted a physician. He tested me for HIV and Syphilis and both the test were negative. The formation is painless and quite rarely it itches. Is it just a fungal infection or is it something else. I am worried. Please help me out.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 48 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your history and picture uploaded. There is nothing to worry about the lesions you have.

Ring like formations usually indicates a fungal infection, although multiple other causes may exist.
To confirm a fungal infection, a simple test is required. This is done by taking a scraping of the affected skin and studying it under a microscope and doing a culture to detect the presence of fungus in it.
Once confirmed, oral anti fungals and topical anti-fungal creams are advised to eradicate the infection completely.

There are a few other possibilities like Annular Lichen Planus, although rare.This can be ruled out by a clinical examination by your dermatologist. In certain cases, a skin biopsy is required to confirm the diagnoses.

I hope this is helpful to you. I will be happy to answer any follow-up questions that you may have.
Wish you good health,