Noticed cervix is elongated at the opening of vagina. Ovary removed due to tumour. Need some information

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I currently have no health insurance and am way overdue for an exam - trying to line something up at the moment but in the mean time want to start researching this issue. For the past several months I have noticed, much to my alarm, that my cervix is often elongated to the point that I feel it at the opening of my vagina. To me, it feels like soft flesh that has distended; I can feel the harder "nose" of the cervix more where I would expect it to be, at the back of my vaginal canal. I am 38 and had my right ovary removed with a large benign tumor encasing it about three years ago. I am of fairly normal weight and body composition, do not smoke, exercise regularly and eat and rest well. I have never gotten pregnant in 8 years of marriage despite not using birth control. For years, my uterus has been "flipped" (not sure what this is called, but with the cervix pointing toward the pubic bone, rather than to the back of the body). Any information would be so appreciated while I work on getting to see a doctor.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,

according to your description there is possibilities are,
- prolapse, means uterus along with cervix can descend and depending on the extent of the descent the cervix can appear at the level of hymenal ring to vaginal opening, it may still come forward with progress,

-the distended soft flesh what you felt may be uterus or cystocele means descent of part of bladder through anterior wall of vagina, sometimes that can occur along with prolapse or individually also. if you felt that posteriorly then that could be rectocele also.

though it is common in parous women it can occur in nulliparous also, the risk factors you are having as retroverted uterus and with progression of age some amount of estrogen deficiency can lead to weakening of ligaments,
your intermenstrual bleeding could be due to hormonal imbalance.

so you better once consult gynecologist and get examined to rule out above possibilities.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Noticed cervix is elongated at the opening of vagina. Ovary removed due to tumour. Need some information 11 hours later
Thanks very much for your response, I will make more haste in getting my appointment. I am fairly certain that the second scenario does not apply; the vaginal walls feel in tact and I do not have other discomfort or pain, but it's all very concerning. I appreciate the followup and will wait to close the discussion for another day or so in case I think of something else I would like to ask, but will review the experience when I do positively. Thank you,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXX
thank you, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.