Noticed blood while cleaning ear with Q tips. Should I be concerned?

ENT Specialist
I'm a 72 year old male. I've been cleaning my ears with Q tips for years, but yesterday when I used a Q tip on my right ear, it came out bloody. Again, this morning it had bled even more overnite. Anything to worry about ?? Much appreciative.
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 11 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have
1. Trauma in the ear canal OR
2.Rupture of the ear drum secondary to trauma

If you have associated hearing loss it is because of the rupture of the ear drum.

I would advise you to AVOID PUTTING IN ANYTHING IN THE EAR CANAL - even ear drops and consult a Otolaryngologist. If it is because of rupture of ear drum you may require a course of antibiotics to avoid secondary infection.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma