Noticed blood in phlegm and spit. What is the cause and required treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have this issue and i dont understand , for a long period or awaited time during the day, the 1st time i blow my nose to take phlegm out there are so spot of blood the same applies when i try to bring phlegm out of my mouth ( it only happens on a long awaited time but subsequent doesnt really happens ) what is happening please............ Thank you
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 5 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your qyery as you noticed blood in your phlegm only at first time in a day and same happen when you try to spit it out by mouth.Considering all aspect of your complaints it appears that some thing wrong in your posterior part of nose or in sinuses.

To confirm and to manage it you are advice fot these investigations-

(a) M.R.I.of paranasal sinuses.

(b) Culture and sensitivity of Phlegm.

By these two investigation one can reach to correct diagnosis. The possibilities are as under-

(a) Sinusitis.

(b) Mild bleeding in nose due to hypertension and infection.

(c) Polyp in nose and sinuses.

(d) Growth in nasal cavity / sinuses.

A Thorough examination and co-relation of inferences of above investigations one can reach to correct diagnosis which can be manage accordingly.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed blood in phlegm and spit. What is the cause and required treatment? 40 hours later
well to be honest i went to the hospital because i had block nose for more than 2 months and i was always using nasaic drops in order for me to breath thru my nose..... and the doc gave me 2 prays which upon using i was still having block nose... then i complained and later he injected my nose for 3 days,... everything was normal but after a week im experiencing block now nose.................... what do u think is going on .....

and question two what am i supposed to do if the problem was ;

(a) Sinusitis.

(c) Polyp in nose and sinuses.

(d) Growth in nasal cavity / sinuses.

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 41 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for writing back to us about clarification of your query.As you said that you are having nasal obstruction continuously and you got some relief by nasal drops.This indicates that you may be having turbinate hypertrophy or any of above listed facts. prolong use of nasal decongestant drops has there own complications. Therefore my advice is to go for M.R.I. of paranasal sinuses, which will disclose the real facts.

Hypertension is diagnose by clinical examination.

Infection is stablished by culture and selection of antibiotic by sensitivity spectrum of report.

I hope these investigations will clear about your doubt.

Regards.