Noticed blood coming from urethra and period has started. Should I be concerned?

Question
Hi, I've noticed blood coming from my urethra. It was definitely from there and not my vagina. Since then my period has started. Is it possible that blood from the vagina can "track" up to my urethra? I can't make sense of it! I have had no pain with it
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

This can happen in a condition called bladder endometriosis where the endometrial tissue (which normally lines the uterus) lies on the bladder wall and causes bleeding during menstruation.

This could be one of the several causes of urethral bleeding like kidney stones, urinary tract infection/injuries, cystitis etc. The association of urethral bleeding with your menstruation led me to think of your possibility.

Your doctor will do the necessary investigations to confirm the diagnosis and suggest necessary treatment.

Hope I answered your query.

Follow-up: Noticed blood coming from urethra and period has started. Should I be concerned? 41 minutes later
Hi, thanks for your reply. Will read up on bladder endometriosis! The reason I don't think the blood "tracking up" is a possibility is because when I bathed this morning and the site was clear from blood, I then noticed new blood beginning to pool around the urethral opening. Is bladder endometriosis a danger to my health if left untreated?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Do not worry. It is not one of those XXXXXXX conditions.

First of all you should get this diagnosis confirmed and plan the management at the earliest.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Noticed blood coming from urethra and period has started. Should I be concerned? 7 minutes later
Thank you for your help :-)

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 17 minutes later

You are welcome.

Please continue to write to clarify any of your queries.

You may contact me with further queries on the following URL

WWW.WWWW.WW

In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me and I can answer your queries regarding your health and your kids online regularly.

Hope this helps.