Ask a Urologist   »  

Notice dark and foul smelling urine. Urine analysis done. What are the findings in the report?

Sep 2012

My bedridden 89 year old mother had her urinalysis when I noticed foul smelling, very dark urine. Her results were: Urine culture result     Final Report
ORGANISM     EC          
What does this mean and what is it caused from?
What does this mean, and what causes this?
Many thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

The culture report indicates presence of E coli bacteria. Its number is > 1,00,000 colony forming units /ml. It indicates presence of hygiene is most common causative agent of this type of disease. But, in female, it is more common. Low body immunity can also lead to overgrowth of these bacteria.

So, in treatment, she needs a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin or cefpodoxime group of drug for this urinary tract infection. One more point is to maintain proper hygiene. You should consult with your treating doctor about improving her general health. Some drugs containing multivitamin and micronutrients should be considered in this matter.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.