Not pregnant but lactating. Should I be worried?

I am a healthy 19 year old woman, 5"1', 150lbs, no serious health issues. I am not pregnant, I finished my period a few days ago but for that past few mornings, I have noticed that I have been lactating. It is not a lot, a few white drops, but is this something I should be worried about?
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be due to hormonal changes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. A milky discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body and may happen due to frequent emergency pill use. Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity also is one of the common causes of galactorrhoea. If you are having normal regular periods then pregnancy is ruled out. The other possible causes are mammary duct ectasia, an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland, etc. All these causes can be ruled out after some simple blood tests and a detailed examination from your gynecologist. You can wait and watch for 7-10 days for it to subside spontaneously and if it persists then the cause needs to be investigated. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Not pregnant but lactating. Should I be worried? 31 minutes later
I have been in a situation to take an emergency pill, thankfully. I took a blood test back in April to check my thyroid and my results came back normal. Are thyroid problems something that could change within a couple of months? My periods are regular, however my cycle lengths in the last six months vary anywhere between 26 to 32 days. Is that a cause for concern and/or a symptom of one of the things you mentioned above? Also, I was in a car accident within the last month, could that possibly be a factor? Sorry, I have *never* been in a situation where I have had to take an emergency pill.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid levels can change in few months. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Thyroid levels can change within a couple of months. Any increase in prolactin levels or a tumor is usually associated with a delay in the cycles or a decrease in the amount of bleeding. The cycle length that you have mentioned is within the normal range. A car accident can cause an increase in the stress and may cause such symptoms. You can wait for a week and see if it subsides spontaneously. If the discharge is persistent then do consider consulting a gynecologist for detailed investigations. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards