Not getting cured and abusing adderall and xanax. Looking for your suggestion

My meds aren't effective anymore I've been abusing adderall and xanax I need to know how long I should stay off these meds until I should start my doses again?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

I appreciate the fact that you have been able to realize that you have been abusing your psychiatric medication. I will definitely try to help and guide you to overcome your problem.

I think we need to explore this problem a little more because temporarily stopping the medication may not be the most appropriate solution. The reason is if you are on significant doses, you could develop withdrawal symptoms. Also, stopping medication may result in a resurgence of you ADHD symptoms. It is also important to ensure that this doesnt happen again in the future...

So, firstly I need to know, for how old you are and long you have been on these medication. Secondly what was the dosage prescribed by your doctor and what dose are you taking currently? Thirdly, what exactly do you mean by 'abusing' the medication? (please explain in detail). Also, what is the status of your ADHD symptoms now?

Please get back to me with more details so that I would be able to understand your problem better and help you accordingly.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist