Not able to sleep at night, getting irritated by small sound. Any advice?

I am unable to sleep at nights, i am irritating by small sound also, daily could not sleep till 2 - 3'o clock in the morning, could you please help to rectify this.
I am india now. could you please advise any sleeping pills
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 17 minutes later

I understand your concern and worry.
Insomnia (lack of sleep) has many reasons.
There are some general ways to have a better sleep.
1.     Adequate exercise (easier said than done) - to walk at least 20 min daily in the mornings.
2.     Early dinner( at least 3 hours before going to bed)
3.     Short walk just before bed time( preferably in open space to get fresh air)
4.     Avoid tea/ Coffee after 6 pm.
5.     Empty the bladder just before going to bed.     

You are quite young and i think these general methods are enough. Managing this problem with medicines is only a temporary solution. Once u stop this medicine, the problem will become worse.
Also, u may become drug dependant for sleep. So pls don’t opt for any sleeping pills right now.
If ur mind is disturbed due to some reason, pls consult a psychiatrist who can guide you.
He will assess you and give presctiption if required, as these medicines require prescription.
Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back to me for any concern and queries. I am ready to answer. Get well soon.
With best wishes and regards,
DR G Srinivasan.

Follow-up: Not able to sleep at night, getting irritated by small sound. Any advice? 27 hours later
I tried these methods also, i started drinking milk while going to bed.
Please tell me some medicine that i can follow for some time..... please help me
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 10 hours later

thanks for your reply.
Sorry to hear about you.
As i already wrote, kindly consult a nearby doctor to get a prescription.
Get well soon.