Normal to have clicking in arm and pain when taking deep breath due to injured rib?
User rating for this question
I tripped and banged my left back ribs into a wooden cabinet. It was extremely painful at first. Lots of bruising and swelling on the side rib area. I can function but I notice now that when I move my arm there is a clicking that occurs in that area. I also have pain when I take a deep breath. Otherwise I feel ok. Are these symptoms normal with an injured rib?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: X-ray should be done. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. This symptoms indicate that rib fracture is possible. This is quite common effect of chest injury. Broken rib itself is not XXXXXXX however during the injury some air could appear between the lung and chest wall (it is called pneumothorax). Such air in some cases can be life threatening. That is why, every chest trauma should be checked with an X-ray. Please visit your doctor, have chest X-ray and ribs X-ray. In case of rib fracture, pain killers will be necessary as it is quite painful (as you may notice right now). The pain can last even for few weeks. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Normal to have clicking in arm and pain when taking deep breath due to injured rib? 18 minutes later
This injury occurred yesterday early evening. Can I wait until tomorrow to get an X-ray or can I wait until tomorrow and go to my regular doctor?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
People also viewed
- Is a b12 level of 180 low
- Left arm pain due to gas
- Knot beside appendix scar
- Arms pain and difficult breathing
- Is it normal for pus to come out of your stitches
- Arm pain due to breast mass
- Arm pain when seated
- How appendicitis operation is done by laser
- Internal bruise
- Is it safe to eat uncooked rice
- Is it normal to be able to feel lymph nodes behind my babys ear
- Does appendix hurt when bending over
- Nasty taste in mouth from appendicitis
- Metallic taste in mouth sign of appendicitis
- Arm pain when on period