Normal for TVS ultrasound to show functional cyst in ovary?

May 2013
I want to share the TVS ultrasound report of my wife which states: "INTRA UTERINE PREGNANCY OF 8 WEEKS and 2 DAYS GESTATION+ FUNCTIONAL CYST RIGHT OVARY" Is evrything normal? What is Functional in cyst right ovary?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly corpus luteum of pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. You didn't mention the date of her last menstrual period. If her gestational age according to lmp is corresponding to the gestational age by ultrasound, that can be considered as normal. Remaining findings are normal. Simple ovarian cyst with below 5cms diameter can be considered as functional ovarian cyst usually. These cysts develop due to hormonal effect. Ovum will develop in ovarian follicle. After release of ovum, the follicle will become corpus luteum. It can form a cyst. During pregnancy it will become corpus luteum of pregnancy. And produce hormones needed to maintain the pregnancy till the placenta takeovers the function. No need to worry about it. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Normal for TVS ultrasound to show functional cyst in ovary? 11 minutes later
The last LMP was on 21/12/2013. We are married since 2010 Dec. Actually in 2012 and in 2013, twice she got pregnant but that ended with blighted ovum in eight weeks. This time however things looking normal. Do we need to maintain some special care about the pregnancy? Anything to worry? I have attached the USG report. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi, Accord to her LMP, her EDD is 28-09-2014. It is almost corresponding to ultrasound report. Her remaining ultrasound findings are normal. As in present pregnancy fetal pole with cardiac activity is noted, no need to worry. She needs regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations. She should take folic acid tablets now. After 4 months she can take iron and calcium tablets. Nutritious diet, adequate rest are needed. Take care.
Follow-up: Normal for TVS ultrasound to show functional cyst in ovary? 32 minutes later
Currently she is taking the following medicines since Dec 2013 as per the advise of the OBGYN we are seeing: 1. Duphaston 2. Folivite 3. Ecosprin 75 4. Pansa 40 5. Doxinate od Are these medicines safe now or we should discontinue or include any more? Please advise.
Brief Answer: Can use with your doctor's advice Detailed Answer: Hi, Folvite, pansa 40, doxinate belongs to category B drugs in pregnancy. She continue them. Usually ecosprin is adviced in women having hypertension or prone to hypertension etc. Possibly because of history of previous two abortions, your doctor might have kept ecosprin as preventive measure. Duphaston belongs to category D drugs in pregnancy. Better to use natural micronized progesterone as per as possible with your doctor's advice. As per available clinical trials no adverse effects reported with Duphaston. Take care.