No interest in sexual life, has had same gender sex. Is this condition treatable with good counselling?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am asking for my brother in law, he's aged 28 now, athletic, working as a software engineer and very clean habits. He is well focussed on career and have great interests and hobbies.

very lovable character, very great attachment with all family members.

recently when we discussed on marriage and proposals, he first gave some reasons for deciding it after some time (his return from abroad and employer change etc). But latter he now states he do not have interest in sexual life.

when discussed says, he was a different person from his college days, when all guys discussed sex and girls he was not having interest in them. Says he is physically normal. He says he is not interested in sex at all and quotes of examples of people who have similar view points, who are either unmarried even at 40s or married have children and do not live with them. He says he does not want to spoil life of a girl after marriage.

When I asked about sex with same sex, he says there were instances when he had. But i did not go into details.

MY QUERY IS WHETHER THIS CONDITION IS TREATABLE WITH A GOOD COUNSELLING
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     28 year old male
•     No interest for female and marriage
•     History suggestive of some sexual exposure with same sex
•     Stable mental, physical and social life
•     Concern related to homosexuality

From the limited information provided by you, it appears that he has homosexual orientation. Homosexuality is not a physical or a psychological disorders, this is the reason the laws are being changed all over the world, gradually to provide it legal status. It is just a sexual orientation.

Sexual orientation can be of three types:
•     Heterosexuality: liking for opposite sex
•     Homosexuality: liking for same sex
•     Bisexuality: comfortable with both sex

Prevalence of Homosexuality is around 2-4% in India and in some western countries it is more than 5%. Sexual orientation cannot be changed by counseling or medicines, as it is not a disorder, so do not worry about its treatment. But it is commonly associated with anxiety, depression, adjustment disorder, self harm and isolation because of social implications, which he may face in future. For that he may require psychological help. So support him in social adjustment in need.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.