No facial hair, reduced hair growth on the body. Treatment for low testosterone levels?

Hi there,

I am almost 30 years old now but I still don't have facial hairs. I have some as mustache and some hairs on chin area. Is there any possibility of developing facial hairs by any kind of medication?

For your information:
- I have normal hairs on underarm and pubic areas
- I don't have much hairs on rest of the body

When I was in 10th Standard, I had to apply ash on my face and body (as part of my makeup for a college drama act), and we did this almost 4-5 times as part of our rehearsals. Do you think that could be the factor here?

Am sure you would understand my condition.. this is one thing which is bothering me since 12 years now..
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 51 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have reduced sexual desire?
2.) Do you get spontaneous erections during sleep?

As far as your History is concerned, there seems to be nothing serious with you except your anxiety for the same which is natural to come such as in your case, but don't worry.

You can get yourself examined by a XXXXXXX or a Endocrinologist so that he/she can examine you and suggest a blood work to test your Testosterone hormone levels. If it is found to be abnormal the treatment will depend upon the cause.

The ash which you had applied may not be the reason for this. The cause for decreased facial hair include,

1.) Herediatary.
2.) Decreased Testosterone level.
3.) Unknown.

Follow these lifestyle modifications,

1.) Shave your beard and Moustache daily.
2.) Avoid stress and practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
3.) If you masturbate, do it when you are sexually aroused may be twice a thrice a week.
4.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
6.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism.
7.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: No facial hair, reduced hair growth on the body. Treatment for low testosterone levels? 39 minutes later
1.) Do you have reduced sexual desire? No. Its normal.
2.) Do you get spontaneous erections during sleep? I would say yes.

My father and brother have very good facial hairs and without any delay. My father had full facial hairs when he was around 25.

If I have low testosterone levels, then how and where to get it tested? Is there any treatment for low testosterone levels?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 18 minutes later

Thank you for getting back to us.

Your Follow-up history also seems to be fine. Then there should be nothing for you to be worried about.

You should be seeing a Endocrinilogist at any of the Specialty Hospitals at Mumbai, if the levels are down, you will be prescribed either testosterone medications or Injections, it all depends on your treating Doctor's discretion and to decide upon whether the treatment is if at all necessary.

Follow the advice which I have given above.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.