Nipple inverted, left breast larger than right, tenderness. Cause?

I am 46 yrs old have had three children and my left nipple has inverted . My left breast is sightly larger then my right. I am average weight. What could be the cause? My breast is somewhat tender.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 45 minutes later

Inverted and tender nipple at your age can be due to infections,inflammation as duct ectasia,abscess,mastitis,hormonal changes and rare conditions as Carcinoma.

Regarding the breast size it is normal in woman to have one breast larger than the other and there is nothing to worry for that.

You require a detailed clinical examination which will help in giving a better picture of the state as nipple retraction is graded according to the inversion and then treated accordingly.

Grade 1 and 2 nipples can be pulled manually (under Medical Supervision)but greater degree of inversion require surgery.

Meanwhile apply warm compresses to the breast 3 to 4 times a day.

Wear a good supporting bra as sagging breasts can also be tender and nipples can retract.

Kindly visit your Healthcare Provider for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up in case of any doubt.