Newborn developed jaundice just after birth. Started phototherapy. Any complication?

Hi madam

My sister gave birth to male baby having 4.5 kgs on 20 XXXXXXX 20 days earlier as date given by doctor in my hometown by sigerian, he was healthy. After three days doctor observed jaundice for him blood test has 19 billibrun level and started giving phototerapy. second day of phototerapy gave billibrun level was 18. fourth day it was 14. 6th day it is 16. Indirect billubirun level is 0.5 after fouth day. but baby is healty he drinks milk. is it any serious issue
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

20% of newborn babies develop jaundice after birth. This is called physiological jaundice and occurs due break down of fetal blood cells. It starts from day 3 and ends before day 14 of life.

Please clarify whether the direct bilirubin is more than the indirect bilirubin? Could you check the reports once more?

Since the baby is a "big baby" and probably has more RBC mass, he is having more jaundice.
But the levels are not alarming and phototherapy is the treatment of choice.
He should be Ok within a few days.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any other queries kindly direct them to me.

Wishing the child a speedy recovery...

Follow-up: Newborn developed jaundice just after birth. Started phototherapy. Any complication? 5 hours later
what are the desired values to be for an new born baby

as we checked scanning,urine test, everything is fine

Usually the unconjugated (Indirect) fraction is much more than the direct bilirubin.
But I think that you quoted the direct fraction as indirect.

However any bilirubin below 20 should be safe for the first 10 days. The rest will decrease over time and will be < 2mg/dl finally.

As the other tests are normal the baby should recover fast.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.