Negative HCG level. Pregnant?

HCG 1.2 mIU/mI Am I pregnant my last love making was 10 days ago and my cycle is late for 1 day?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

An hCG level of less than 5mIU/ml is considered negative for pregnancy, and anything above 25mIU/ml is considered positive for pregnancy.

So in your case it is unlikely that you are pregnant.

Periods may be delayed 1-4 days physiologically.

However in about 85% of normal pregnancies, the hCG level will double every 48 - 72 hours. As you get further along in pregnancy and the hCG level gets higher, the time it takes to double can increase to about every 96 hours.

So i suggest you take repeat Serum or urine pregnancy test at a day later.

Do you get your cycles regular previously?
Are you using any contraceptive methods/ pills lately?

Hope Ive answered your question,
Will be available for followup.

Follow-up: Negative HCG level. Pregnant? 45 hours later
thank you Doctor for the explanation, I'm still confuse my last cycle was on 8th of XXXXXXX and I was expecting my cycle this month on 6th.

yes I have a regular cycle. and I don't take any pills rather than Folic acid.
last Sunday I did blood test it shows the result HCG 1.2 mIU/mI
and this morning I had HPT and it was negative.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 minutes later

Thanks again,

As you have your HPT negative, it's unlikly that you are pregnant.

Mostly cycle ranges anywhere from 21 to 35 days. Every woman usually has a certain cycle length that is rather constant but sometimes varies 1-2 days per month.

However, irregular periods can be either of short term or long-term irregularity.

Short-term irregularity can be due to any of the causes such as fatigue, stress, and over exercise which generally occurs infrequently. Irregular menstrual cycle has become common problem among women today. It is found that one out of every five women suffer with this problem.

Long-term irregularity can be anything from a cycle that changes in length from month to month to the experience of various abnormal symptoms such as heavy bleeding, no cycle for months for a period of time, very painful periods or ovulation.

"I believe you don't have any serious issues. You will get your cycle in a day or two. Just maintain good diet and adequate rest.
Everything will be fine."